ALOR SETAR, July 4— Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak today refuted allegations by the DAP that the state government intended to demolish illegal Hindu and Chinese temples in the state.
He described the allegations as a deliberate attempt by the party to stir up racial issues.
“The state government or the Alor Star Municipal Council (MBAS) have never discussed anything about demolishing illegal places of worship.
“The DAP says it champions the causes of all Malaysians but now suddenly comes up with such wild allegations,” he said when met by reporters here today.
He was commenting on the allegation by Kedah/Perlis DAP chairman Thomas Su yesterday that MBAS had been given the go ahead to tear down illegal temple structures in the municipality.
PAS and DAP have been at loggerheads in the Pakatan government in Kedah and the DAP’s sole assemblymen in the coalition yesterday declared himself an independent after PAS, which leads the government, ordered an illegal pig abbatoir, the only one for slaughtering pigs in Kedah, to be shut down.
On another matter, Azizan said the State Land and Mines Department had been directed to determine if reports that there were gold deposits at a quarry in Kampung Jelutong, Pendang, was true.
“If it is the case, the state’s laws will be invoked pertaining to its mining,” he said.
Hundreds of people are flocking to site to hunt for gold after word got out about the deposits on Wednesday. – Bernama