Restaurant forced to discontinue Menu Rahmah due to financial losses

489

A restaurant owner in Bayan Lepas, Penang, admitted that he had to discontinue the Menu Rahmah only a few weeks after introducing it, citing poor public response and financial losses.

In a video posted on Tong Kayu Cafe Original’s official TikTok account, the owner Fakhrul explained that they had no choice but to stop the menu as they could no longer bear the losses.

“I have to discontinue Menu Rahmah.

“There were two reasons for the discontinuation – the first one was due to economic factors. I don’t own huge capital and my business is just a normal one. Secondly, the response was so poor that it led to losses,” he said, in a video explaining the decision and the reasons behind it.

Fakhrul said he had introduced two menus – white rice with chicken cooked in soy sauce and white rice with turmeric fried chicken.

“I didn’t prepare much — only about 15 plates for each menu — but we still can’t finish it. We had to ‘let go’ of the dishes.

“I can no longer stand with it. We have the menu for about two to three weeks already,” he said.

Fakhrul also expressed hope that his customers would not condemn him for the decision, adding that they initially were high-spirited to support the government’s initiative but had to stop short due to losses.

Fakhrul’s video has so far received over 150,000 views.

Previously, the Bumiputera Petty Traders Association said the Menu Rahmah Initiative could be a double-edged sword for small-time food operators.

Its president Datuk Seri Rosli Sulaiman said some small-scale food operators reported considerable losses in the first week of the launch of the menu.

The Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry had in February launched the Menu Rahmah, which consists of a plate of rice, chicken or fish and vegetables priced at no more than RM5.

As of Feb 25, a total of 586 food operators nationwide have registered to offer the budget-friendly Menu Rahmah in their establishments.NST